C.E. "Rusty" Williams Airport
In 1940, the DeSoto Parish Police Jury began initiating efforts to establish an airport in the parish. Over the course of three years, they acquired 1,044.93 acres with the total purchase price of $39,991.
In 1943, the U.S. Government provided funding along with the Police Jury to construct the airport to be used as an auxiliary landing field for Barksdale Air Force Base. The field included two crosswind runways and one north-south runway. After the U.S. Air Force phased out operations, DeSoto Flying Service, Inc operated the airport for a short period of time, and built a 60’x60’ Hangar and an administration building.
On February 5, 1947, the DeSoto Parish Police Jury signed a lease with the U.S. Government Department of the Army to allow use of the airport for an auxiliary landing field, again, with the lease expiring on October 28, 1952. All of the maintenance during the time frame was to be provided by the U.S. Government. During 1955, 1956, and 1957 the airport was made available to the Department of the Army for training maneuvers.
The airport was operated by FBOs for many years and in 2010 the Police Jury hired a fulltime Airport Manager. This was made possible by oil and gas lease bonus revenues received in 2008. In addition, the Police Jury added a fulltime Lineman to maintain the airport and assist aviation customers with fueling. Improvements to the airport since receiving the lease bonus and subsequent oil and gas royalty payments includes: Terminal Building Extension, T-Hangars, taxiway, perimeter fencing and various equipment. The two crosswind runways were closed over the course of time and the north-south runway remains active and was overlaid in 2012.
The C. E. "Rusty" Williams Airport serves the aviation industry with competitive fuel prices, jet refueling truck, pilots lounge and sleeping quarters, courtesy cars, towing equipment, tie downs, flight planning computers and Wi-Fi.
Jackie McKinney – Airport Manager
Mark Price – Lineman
PLEASE CALL FOR FUEL PRICES